He Colcannon (which in Irish means white-headed cabbage), is one of the most traditional dishes of Irish cuisine. Made basically with mashed potatoes and cabbage (cabbage), it has always been considered a dish of humble people due to the simple and inexpensive ingredients it contains.
The mashed potato and cabbage is a dish that is specially made on typical Irish holidays such as St. Patrick's Day. It is often considered the perfect garnish for roasted and stewed meats.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cabbage, kale, or collard greens
- 1 chives
- Chopped parsley
- 50 gr of chopped bacon
- 50 ml of liquid cream
- Pepper (optional)
- 50 g butter, melted
- Tips: instead of cabbage you can also use kale or collard greens
In Guiainfantil.com, We show you how to prepare this exquisite Irish puree, step by step, and with a homemade recipe, easy and quick to prepare. To the kitchen...
1. Wash and chop the cabbage well and cook it in plenty of salted water for about 15 minutes. Then strain it and reserve it.
2. In another saucepan, cook the unpeeled potatoes in water and salt for about 20 minutes or until they are tender. Then remove the skin and reserve them.
3. In a skillet, melt half of the butter and sauté the cabbage for a few minutes so that it becomes lightly browned. Next, add the chopped chives and parsley, stir everything and remove the pan from the heat. Reserve.
4. On the other hand, pass the potatoes through the mash and pour the puree into a bowl. Add the cream and the other half of the butter. Stir.
5. In another frying pan, fry the bacon into pieces and then put them on a kitchen paper to remove the fat and stay dry.
6. To the potato mixture, add the sautéed cabbage with chives and parsley, and then the chopped bacon. Mix everything very well.
7. Adjust the salt and if you want you can put some pepper.
And here we have our Irish puree. We hope you like it! Enjoy your meal
You can read more articles similar to Mashed potatoes and cabbage. Irish Colcannon Recipe, in the category of Potatoes on site.