Multiple pregnancy is considered a risky pregnancy and prematurity is the biggest problem for twin or twin babies, since those born before the 37th week of gestation are considered premature. Therefore, parents of twins or twins should consider that the pregnancy will be shorter than a normal one and should carry out all the preparations.
According to statistics, 50 percent of twins are born prematurely and 80 percent of deliveries occur between weeks 34 and 36 of gestation. In general, twin or multiple birth takes place three weeks earlier than a full-term birth, because the uterus reaches its maximum distention around the seventh or eighth month of gestation, which usually favors the appearance of contractions, which can advance the moment of childbirth.
The increase in the number of fetuses progressively decreases the length of gestation and the size of the children. Thus, for example, the average weight of quadruplets is 1,400 grams and they are usually born forty-five days earlier.
Getting organized is the key to not feeling overwhelmed when you get home and have to care for two babies at the same time. For this, it is necessary to take a series of measures before and after delivery.
- Take maternal education classes well in advance, at the beginning of the second trimester of pregnancy, in case the delivery could come early.
- Ask for help. In addition to all the dedication and involvement of your partner, you will need all the help you can count on. Accept help and collaboration from friends, friends or family to help you out at home on continuous or alternate days, or at hourly intervals and during the morning, afternoon or night.
- Advance all purchases: furniture, clothing, diapers, hygiene and cleaning products related to the baby.
- Fill the freezer with food and have the phones you need for home service at hand.
Overcoming the initial chaos is the most difficult during the first days, which can become in the first weeks, since due to the delicate health of babies due to premature birth, it is necessary to be aware of them at all hours.
- Under weight. Babies born with low weight demand breastfeeding less often. They may demand the breast every hour and a half, which can be exhausting for the mother. At first you have to respect their rhythms and needs, later when they reach the appropriate weight you can begin to establish routines.
- Similar routines. Within a few weeks, both babies tend to sleep at the same time, eat, and cry at about the same time. This regularization is a great break for parents.
- Ask for help. During the first days it is preferable that the couple or the grandparents can unload the mother's work.
You can read more articles similar to After multiple birth. Go home with two babies, in the category of Twins / Twins on site.